Re: Indy components on the fly vs. on the form?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Indy components on the fly vs. on the form?
Posted by:  Martin James (mjames_falc…@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003

"Andrew Fiddian-Green" <andrewfg at zugernet dot ch> wrote in message
news:167C99E3D680E240andrewfg at zugernet dot ch...
> My application uses IdHTTP client components for several different
> functions. Currently I create the components on the fly in code.  But I
> notice that Indy executes stack initialisation code only when the first
> component is created. So I suppose that if I create and destroy many Indy
> components on the fly this initialisation code may be run rather often. =>
> Is there a performance hit?

I'm not sure why, but serveral Indy components seem to take a
human-noticeable amount of time to create.  Probably, it's just because of
unavoidable complexity & delays in winsock.

I ususally manage to avoid the problem by pooling, rather that destroying,
such components.  If you've done with one, shove it onto a Tlist or Tqueue.
If you want one, try getting one from the pool first  & only create one if
the pool is empty.  Pool get/put methods need a critical section if you have
threads, (in which case, you might be able to pool the whole thread, TidHTTP
and all).  Continual create/free of complex components is often just a an
easily avoidable waste of CPU/time.  Pooling also mitigates create/free
leakages.  *Note for Chad*  I'm not saying TidHTTP leaks!  Code around it
may do so, however, as I have occasionally proved in my apps :)

Rgds,
Martin