Re: Firewall Settings - Indy 9.00.10 - Delphi 7 - EP 2

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Firewall Settings - Indy 9.00.10 - Delphi 7 - EP 2
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004

"Marco Gesiot" <mar…@gesiot.it> wrote in message
news:80877BA2648DE240mar…@gesiot.it...

> 1) Why is the reported client port 1026 on the server ?

Probably because the client bound itself to a random port when creating its
local socket.  Especially since you are using connection sharing via yet
another machine, thus your server is not even communicating with the client
directly, but to a secondary proxy-type client instead.  It wouldn't matter
what the original client bound itself to if the proxy decided to bind itself
randomly instead.

> 2) How can I know the client ports ranges that will appear
> on the server so that I can configure the Server Firewall ?

You cannot.  If a client binds to a random port, it has free reign to bind
to any port between 1-65535, which is the full range of ports that are
available to socket to use, which would mean opening up your entire
firewall.  The only other way is to force the client to bind to a specific
port, but if you have a proxy in the middle, you probably don't have any
control over that.  Had the original client connected directly to your
server without using connection sharing at all, you would probably have
better results.  The fact that you have a client that is passing through 2
firewalls as well as a proxy, it is no wonder you are having problems
getting a decent connection.

> The client connection code goes like this:

That makes no difference once you introduce a proxy, since it has to make a
second client socket, and thus is free to use any settings it wants separate
from anything you set up in the original client.