Re: weird message when downloading mail

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: weird message when downloading mail
Posted by:  Ciaran Costelloe (ccostell…@flogas.ie)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004

"Mark Di Nicola" <don'…@emailback.com> wrote in message
news:FE627B3321A0E240don'…@emailback.com...
> i've been having problems downloading mail where it would seemingly stop
> downloading mail so i enabled a logfile and for 18 minutes every 20 or
> so seconds i get

I am a bit confused - it stops for 18 minutes every 20 seconds?

By the way, 20 seconds is about the time for a failed DNS lookup.

> Recv 7/06/04 3:14:07 PM: X-ISafe-KeepAlive:0<EOL>
>
> from the server. after 20 minutes it starts downloading the message at
> full speed. googled for it but i couldn't find a match. anyone have any
> idea what that is?

I think I noticed something similar, but I could never pin it down.  Can you
get a copy of Ethereal (it is free), which will log all the packets
(provided you are connecting via a network card)?  It should tell you what
packet went out (that would have generated the "Recv ..." response)?

Ciaran