Re: Ping through Telnet

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Ping through Telnet
Posted by:  Ciaran Costelloe (ccostell…@flogas.ie)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005

Giorgio Vanoni wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to use the ping function through a telnet connection.

Maybe I am missing something, but ping is one protocol and telnet is a
totally different and independent protocol.

> I have to verify a tcp connection of a router.
> So I would use a Telnet component to connect to the router, then send
> ping command and test the results in my PC.

If you are accessing the router via other routers, be aware that just
because you can ping the router does not mean you can telnet to it, I
know this from bitter experience.  This happens if the path to the
router is different to the path from the router.

Ciaran