Re: Is there a way to tell if the write buffer is full.

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell if the write buffer is full.
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006

"Bob Rasmusens" <wjgro…@weir-jones.com> wrote in message
news:43D150FB.3B3C83…@weir-jones.com...

> I am trying to determine if the client side on a server is
> processing the information I am sending it fast enough.
> If there is not enough room in the write buffer I would like
> to know this so that I could write information to another
> client and not be blocked on the write until the client has
> processed enough for the server write to unblock.

There is no way to query how much outgoing data is pending in the socket.
If you try to write more data than the socket can hold, and error is
reported by the socket, which Indy then wraps into an exception.  So you'll
just have to wrap your writing with a try..catch block.

The only way to know if the client is processing the data is to have the
client send an acknowledgement back to the server after it receives the
data.  The server can then keep track of how long it takes each client to
respond.