Re: Changing files on ftp server

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Changing files on ftp server
Posted by:  J. Peter Mugaas (oma002…@mail.wvnet.edu)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:00:01 +0100, Vedran wrote:

> When I upload file to ftp server I wont to keep file date and not change it
> to current date.
> How can I change date of files on ftp server?

Many FTP servers use the MDTM command for this.

The syntax most commonly used is:

MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS filename

However, I do not like this myself because that is an abuse of the MDTM
command.  Normally, the syntax is "MTDM filenme" and that command is a
request to obtain a file date and time.

Personally, I favor using the MFMT command but that is in a draft that
expired and there still isn't wide support for it.  Servers supporting that
should report MFMT in their feature list (output from the FEAT command).

Indy 10 does have much better support for setting the date than what I
described.  In that version, I added code for a slightly newer MDTM date
format (supported by Serv-U 4) and I also have slightly better detection
code that can hopefully identify some servers which support MDTM (BFTP
Server and Titan FTPD - but this hasn't been tested yet).

--
J. Peter Mugaas - Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website -http://www.nevrona.com/Indy