Re: New user: Cannot disconnect and reconnect on FTP Server Timeout.

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: New user: Cannot disconnect and reconnect on FTP Server Timeout.
Posted by:  Bjorn Heidarr (bjorn[AT]transsoft.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004

Brendan,

    A couple of cents for you regarding the server timeout:

    If you need the control channel to remain intact there are a few things
you can do to stop the timeouts:

    In 99% of all cases it is sufficient to send a NOOP command to the ftp
server on, for example, 1 minute interval.
  This will, with most FTP servers, keep the connection open and thus
eliminating the timeouts.
    NOOP does not do anything (NO OPeration). It simply sends a command to
the server, and the server replace with something like "220 command
successful". But atleast there is some activity through the control channel
which eliminates the timeout.

  Some FTP servers will not eliminate the timeout although the client sends
NOOP. Those server need activities via the data channel. In this case you
can send for example a LIST command on 1 minute interval.
  A "LIST notexisting.file" would do nicely in most of those cases... ;-)

    -- Bjorn Heidarr --