Re: Speed Problem with Indy 10

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Speed Problem with Indy 10
Posted by:  J. Peter Mugaas (oma002…@mail.wvnet.edu)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:27:47 +0100, Gordon Kaestner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded and updated my FTP-Server to Indy 10.0.52 and have
> slow speeds with up- and downloads (about 1 MByte/s).
> With Indy 9 the speed is about 8 MByte/s.
>
> What changed in Indy 10 that yould cause such speed?

A lot.  I had to make the server use the same context for both the data and
control connections.  The reason for the slowness is that while the FTP
server is uploading or download, it also has to check the control
connection to see if some command was issued and deal with it.

Compression code in the server can also make things slower and part of that
is inefficiency in the design.  I couldn't figure out how to implement that
better in time for the Indy 10 release.