Re: MDTM problem with Indy 10 and IIS 5

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: MDTM problem with Indy 10 and IIS 5
Posted by:  J. Peter Mugaas (oma002…
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005

"Michael J. Leaver" <> wrote in message
> Hi, using latest Indy 10 I've noticed that sometimes Indy is sending a
> badly formatted MDTM command to set the remote files last modification
> date & time. For example, on IIS 5 when you connect it has the following
> features listed:
> filename;start;end<EOL>211 End<EOL>
> But sometimes Indy is sending the following:
> MDTM 20050210045003.890 test.txt
> 550 /c:/20050210045003.890 test.txt: No such file or directory.
> It seems to be adding on the milli-seconds part. I guess if I strip off
> the milli-seconds part of the time then it won't do this?
I did make that change and that did seem to work.  BUt I'm sure that it will
work in your case.

Your feature list says "MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename" while the server
I tested with said "MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ] filename".  There could be a
difference between the two.

I did make a comment about this in the TIdFTP source-code noting this and
this is that note:

  Note from:

  Added support for RFC change and the MDTM. MDTM requires sending the
  GMT (UTC) instead of a "fixed" date and time. FTP Voyager supports this
  Serv-U automatically by checking the Serv-U version number and by checking
  response to the FEAT command for MDTM. Servers returning "MDTM" or
  "MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ] filename" will use the old method. Servers
  returning "MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" only will use the new method where the
date a
  and time is GMT (UTC).

Let me know what happens with your FTP server.

BTW:  I don't think that you were discussing Microsoft's FTP service (part
of IIS).  Microsoft IIS 6.0 only lists a "MDTM" in its FEAT reply and it
never supported setting the file date.  I suspect that you may have talking
about Serve-U.  That was throwing off some discussion.

J. Peter Mugaas - Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website -
Personal Home Page -
If I want to do business with you, I will contact you.  Otherwise, do not
contact me.