Re: Ftp.List() - Option to just retrieve directories?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Ftp.List() - Option to just retrieve directories?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005

"Dirk Honda" <dirkhon…@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:59C43A315AC4E240dirkhon…@hotmail.com...

> I am trying to use ... the pattern matching ability of List() to
> only retrieve the actual directories in any given directory.

On some servers, a pattern of "*" will return just the directory names,
whereas a pattern of "*.*" will return just the file names.  Unfortunately,
the common directory listing commands used are LIST and NLST, the parameters
of both are server- and/or filesystem-specific.  So you will have to
experiment with the pattern on the particular servers you are working with.

The alternative is to not use the pattern matching capabilities of List() at
all.  Use a blank pattern so that all files and directories are returned
together, and then filter the results afterwards.