Re: How do you check a file is completely uploaded before you download?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How do you check a file is completely uploaded before you download?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007

"Gill" <gillz…@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:57536CCF1F18E340gillz…@hotmail.com...

> On preparing to download a file, there appears to be no
> way to check that it has completed uploading.

There is nothing available in the FTP protocol for that, no.

> The demo provided can result in a partial file being
> downloaded without any error given.

Yes, it can.  But that is dependant on the server.  The server decides
whether to allow download access to any file that is still in the
process of uploading.  There is nothing a client can do about that.
Either the download "succeeds", or it fails with an access error.
That is the server's decision.

> I'm having to resort to rename. Is there a more elegant solution?

No.  The FTP specification does not define any provisions for locking
files or for serializing access to files.  That is entirely based on
vendor-specific implementations.

> I am being assured VB .net ALWAYS downloads completed files.

There are no such assurances.  This issue is fundamental to the way
FTP works in general on all platforms.