Re: How to know HTTP server is down

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How to know HTTP server is down
Posted by:  Remy Lebeau \(Indy Team\) (re…@lebeausoftware.org)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010

"Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_plt…@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D872A3DF5EA2E340alan_NO_SPAM_plt…@yahoo.com.au...

> I want to test if HTTP server is up and running before GET a file.

Why?  Just GET the file and handle any errors that occur.  Don't waste your
time trying to test the server beforehand.  It is not worth it.

> I cannot GET the file for testing the HTTP server is running because
> the file is not always existing.

So?  The server will simply report HTTP error code 404 in that situation.
Your code can look for that condition.

> One way is to put a dummy file on HTTP server if I can GET
> the file

That is not necessary.  Just GET the original file normally.

> any other way I can test beside GET a file from HTTP server?

If you only care about connectivity but not functionality (not always a good
choice), then extract the Host and Port from the URL and Connect() to it
using TIdTCPClient by itself.

--
Remy Lebeau (Indy Team)