Re: How to get the newsserver address

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How to get the newsserver address
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005

"Jan van der Vaart" <jvaa…@planet.nl> wrote in message
news:B48746DE2EC6E240jvaa…@planet.nl...

> I'd like to know if there's a way to obtain the address of
> the newsserver of the current ISP

There is not.  Every ISP is different.  Every ISP is free to use whatever
naming convention they want for their own host names.  There is no standard
format for host names, nor any way to dynamically query what the server's
actual host name is.  Some ISPs use "news.isp.com" as the formt.  Some use
"news#.ISP.com", where # is a sequential number for multiple servers.  Some
ISPs are free to use things like "s#.news.whatever.ISP.com" if they wanted
to.

> cuz I want to provide that address as a default value to the user.

There is no way to do that.  The user has to provide the actual host name or
IP address that is specific to their actual ISP configuration.