Re: pop3 and proxy

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: pop3 and proxy
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004

"MCH" <mchaku…@21cn.com> wrote in message
news:opr1f7l9o7ib49…@pop.21cn.com...

>    I got a mail client that doesn't support proxy. I am writing a
> program to receive mail via a proxy. For that purpose, I use
> TIdPop3Server as a local pop3 server and let TIdPop3 to
> receive mail form the real mail server.

Ok, so let me see if I got this straight -

1) You have a client program that is using TIdPOP3
2) You are connecting it to a local server that is using TIdPop3Server
3) The server is using another TIdPOP3 to connect to the real server

Is that right?  If so, that is redundant.  The local server is not getting
you anything extra.  You could just connect the original TIdPOP3 client to
the real server directly and forget the local server altogether.

> First, I would like to use a proxy (locate in remote site) to
> receive a mail but I found nowhere in TIdPOP3 to set a proxy
> as easy as that in TIdHttp.

That is because the POP3 protocol itself does not directly support proxying
like the HTTP protocol does.  However, that is not to say that it can't be
done.  Assuming you are using a SOCKS-capable proxy, simply attach a
TIdIOHandlerSocket to the TIdPOP3, and then attach a TIdSocksInfo to the
TIdIOHandlerSocket.

> Second, after I received the mail, I got lots of information from
> the real server. What sort of information I should tell TIdPop3Server?

Please clearify.  Your question is too vague.

> i.e. How to feed the TIdPop3Server with the incoming message
> from TIdPop3).

Just call the TIdPOP3's Retreive() method for the desired message ID.

> BTW, I wonder why using TIdPop3 is very very very slow while
> receiving mail. The speed is impressive when I use the mail client
> to receive mail for the same account direcly.

Where exactly are you calling that code from?