Re: Default email client hooking ?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Default email client hooking ?
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004

"d wood" <parac…@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:68DA89E32691E240parac…@btinternet.com...

> Does anyone have any info regarding the hooking off someone
> clicking on an email address link in IE, by default this would load
> outlook express send email dialog with the clicked email address
> transferred in to 'TO' box.

You don't "hook" the default client - you replace it with your own.  You
need to alter the Registry to direct the "mailto" protocol to your own
program directly:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    (Default)="c:\path to\yourprog.exe "%1""

> I know where you can set the default email client in the registry,
> but i don't know how you capture the email address that was
> clicked in IE.

It is passed as a comand-line parameter to the program that is loaded to
handle the link.  The Registry value above contains a %1 as a placeholder
which the system replaces with the actual value.  Then, you simply write
your code to check if the program was started with command-line parameters
or not, and extract the value when needed.