Re: Decoding subject/sender with ?utf and similar stuff

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Decoding subject/sender with ?utf and similar stuff
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005

"Christian Tiberg" <christi…@commsoft.nu> wrote in message
news:EE70C47145C3E240christi…@commsoft.nu...

> Frequently, I get mails with ?utf-8 and similar stuff in the
> subject and/or sender fields. Shouldn't this be decoded
> by Indy?

Yes, and it usually is.  However, Indy supports only a few encoding types
for those fields, and UTF-8 is not one of them.  If a message does not use a
supported encoding type, the data cannot be decoded at all since Indy won't
know how to decode it properly, leaving it the user's responsibility to
decode manually.