Re: Encoding in decoded POP message

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Encoding in decoded POP message
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007

"nix" <n…@nix.com> wrote in message news:80DC92346541E340n…@nix.com...

> I am using Indy 9.0.18 (haven't upgraded to v10 becuase
> i have a lot of legacy code written and tested in v9).

You could upgrade to the 9.0.50 snapshot, at least.  9.0.18 is 3 years old
now.

> I have a problem that sometimes the text in msg.body retrieved
> from POP.Retrieve(iIndex, Msg) contains encoding, e.g.

The data has been encoded using MIME's "quoted-printable" encoding scheme.
The message's "Content-Transfer-Encoding" header (the
TIdMessage.ContentTransferEncoding property) should say as much.  That is
perfectly normal behavior for email.

Indy 9 does not automatically decode such data when MIME boundaries are not
present (which sounds like it is probably the case in this particular
situation).  If so, then you will have to decode the Body data manually (you
can use TIdDecoderQuotedPrintable for that).

Indy 10, on the other hand, will decode the data automatically.