Re: Apostrophe in email address

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Apostrophe in email address
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005

"Alex Ivlev" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:5706C11317BDE240nospam@nospam.net...

> I'm trying to send a message (using TIdSMTP) to somebody whose
> email address contains an apostrophe, e.g. "O'Mall…@somewhere.net".

That is not a valid email address.  Email addresses are not allowed to have
apostrophes in them.

> Project mail1.exe raised exception class EIdSMTPReplyError
> with message 'Cannot contain a quote, unless g_rcpt_quote true'.
>
> What is that all about

The SMTP server is not configured to allow apostrophes, so the email address
is being rejected by the server.

> and how do I get around it?

Don't include illegal characters in your email addresses in the first place.
There is nothing else you can do, the server is rejecting the address on its
end.  Your client is not the one rejecting it.