Re: Indy 10 SMTP - bug - sends out blanks emails

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Indy 10 SMTP - bug - sends out blanks emails
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005

"Steve Sidwell" <sidwe…@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2064A89CF6C8E240sidwe…@comcast.net...

> If one of the recipients in the BCC list has a totally wrong
> domain (e.g. "sassy@sassycom") then the mail server gives
> an error but a blank email (blank subject and body) gets
> sent to all the other recipients.

If any recipient fails, Indy fails the entire send, and no message data is
transmitted to the server at all.  The server is not supposed to send
anything to the already-accepted recipients unless the send is successful.

What you can try doing is send a RSET command to the server if Send() fails.
At least that way, the server should disregard the recipients that were
already accepted.

> This did not happen with Indy 9.

Indy 10 does not do anything different in regards to how messages are sent
to the server.

> Also is there any way to know which recipients are no good
> so that the email can be sent again to the rest?

Currently, the only thing you can do is parse the server's error message,
which is no guarantee that you will be able to determine the failed address
at all.  Otherwise, don't send multi-recipient messages at all.  Send
messages to one address at a time.

With that said, the Indy developers have already discussed and agreed on
adding new events to TIdSMTP that allow an application to detect failed
addresses and decide whether to ignore them or not.  That has not been
implemented yet, although I did start an implementation in my own local copy
but it is not finished yet.