Re: Extending the server

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Extending the server
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005

"Tim Parker-Nance" <tim_…@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:012D4956E5D2E240tim_…@hotmail.com...

> The problem we are having is that to get decent replies
> we have to change the Indy server code.

In what way exactly?

> That means that every new snapshot needs to be checked and
> updated. Needless to say it is not a very productive excercise.

Then either 1) you are doing something wrong in the first place, so that you
should not be changing any code at all, or 2) Indy needs to verify the code
so that it can be incorporated natively.

> I am am going to use SPF for a MailFrom extension as an example.
> What we are do is extend the Indy types to handle our extra
> functionality.
<snip>
> And finally in the command handlers we check for our new types
> and call out new methods.

Why exactly are you chaning TIdSMTPServer's code to handle that?  Why
exactly can't you handle SPF using TIdSMTPServer's native functionalities?
Please elaborate.

> To overcome this I suggest to extend your types by an element
> named Other and an Event to set the response

Not until you first explain why the changes are needed in the first place,
such that TIdSMTPServer does not already expose the necessary hooks/events
to accomplish the same processing natively.