Re: HTML and Plain Text

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: HTML and Plain Text
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005

"Grant Brown" <gra…@sitedoc.com.au> wrote in message
news:FC523FDFCAD6E240gra…@sitedoc.com.au...

> We are trying to send a email message in html format.

If you go tohttp://www.indyproject.org and click on the "Team Blogs" link
inside the "Indy.Sockets" section, I just posted an article yesterday on how
to send HTML messages with Indy.

> The nature of our data is richtext converted  to HTML

Makes no difference where the HTML is coming from.  HTML is HTML.

> As a result of the text contents, it is not possible to end up with
> a plain text version of the message to be sent.

That is fine.  Sending plain text is not a requirement.  Though at the very
least, you should send a plain-text message telling non-HTML readers that
the real content of the message is not available in plain-text.  There is no
requirement that the plain-text and HTML have to say the same thing.

> I have been reading in the list that all HTML messages must also
> contain a plain text copy of the message.

That depends on your version of Indy.  Indy 9 requires it.  Indy 10 does
not.

> In our case where plain text is not possible what do I send as the plain
text section.

Anything you want.