Re: SMTP Question

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: SMTP Question
Posted by:  Ciaran Costelloe (ccostell…@flogas.ie)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005

> note that the SMTP settings are still the same,

...which is generally a problem: the clients (assuming they are not in
your network) should be using their own smtp server.

> and that the
> application when run from our side is perfectly fine, what could be
> wrong here? also our old backups can send out the emails as well with
> no issues.
>
> What could be wrong with this picture?

An SMTP server looks at the connecting PCs IP address and decides from
that whether it is an internal PC or external: if external, by default
it does not want to allow relaying.  If you really do want outside
clients to use your server, you will have to configure your server to
accept their IP addresses or allow them log on and be authenticated in
that manner rather than by IP address.

Ciaran