Re: sending mail

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: sending mail
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006

"Mehmet" <mehmet.demir…@planet.com.tr> wrote in message
news:1682435A07F7E240mehmet.demir…@planet.com.tr...

> I use C++ Builder 6.0 and Indy 8.0.25 which comes with C++ Builder.

That is a very old version of Indy which is no longer supported.  You should
seriously consider upgrading to the current 9.0.50 snapshot.

> I am trying to send an e-mail to myself using gmail smtp server.

GMail requires SSL connections.  I do not know if Indy 8 supports SSL.  Indy
9 does.

> I see that the connection is successful because OnConnected event is fired

That does not mean that the connection is successful.  Indy is not an
event-driven library.  The OnConnect event is triggered when the underlying
socket is accepted on the remote server.  But TIdSMTP::Connect() performs
various operations afterwards to valid the server and get its capabilities.
The OnConnected event is triggered before that happens.  A successful
connection is one where Connect() does not throw an exception into your
code.