Re: can I "detect" whether a mail address is (still) valid ? (maybe stupid quest

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: can I "detect" whether a mail address is (still) valid ? (maybe stupid quest
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006

"Tom" <nospam@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
news:16FE20C22BF8E240nospam@nospamplease.com...

> my customer has a db with 300000 mail addresses. Is there a
> way to check whether these addresses are still available ?

One way is to separate the mailbox and domain names from each email address.
Then do a DNS query to find the MX record(s) specifying the IP address(es)
for the domain, then connect to the SMTP server(s) at the IP address and
issue a VRFY command specifying the mailbox name.  You can use the TIdSMTP
and TIdDNSResolver components for that.