Re: National characters in email address.

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: National characters in email address.
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006

"Ivan" <iv…@email.com> wrote in message
news:02D5B55A9706E340iv…@email.com...

> I am getting "Connection closed gracefully" exceptions, and after further
> investigating I noticed that it is caused by recipient address containing
> national character.

Please elaborate.  What EXACTLY is happening?  Can you show an example?
"Connection closed gracfully" means that the server closed the connection.
Keep in mind that SMTP is an ASCII-based protocol, so you are probably
trying to send an illegal character that is causing the server to reject the
connection.

> Anybody knows whether national characters are allowed in email addresses,

What exactly do you mean by "national" character?

> also, why such confusing error/exception is used in such case ?

It is not a confusing error.  It it saying exactly what is happening - the
server is closing the connection, which Indy picks up on the next time the
socket is accessed.