Re: SMTP Relay on private network

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: SMTP Relay on private network
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007

"Eddie Lotter" <no…@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3E38011A2421E340no…@nowhere.com...

> The SMTP Relay component connects to my mail server (on a
> 192.168.0.0 network) after resolving the MX record, it says
> HELO to the mail server and then times out, disconnects and
> returns a "No MX records for the domain xyz.com" as the first
> of hundreds of blank entries in the StatusList.

That particular error message can only be reported if the DNS server
did not return any MX servers for a domain.  That error message is
raised as an exception which cancels the sending of the email to all
recipients of that domain.  So the only way what you describe can
happen is if your email has multiple recipient domains in it.  The
first domain succeeds in finding an MX server, but times out when
handshaking with it, and then the next domain fails to find any MX
servers and skips the domain.

> Clearly the MX record was found because the Relay component
> connects to and _starts_ to talk to the SMTP server.

Only for the domain that successfully found an MX server.  Not for the
domain that failed to find any.