Re: Newbie Issues - Trying to Connect using SMTP

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Newbie Issues - Trying to Connect using SMTP
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009

"Steven Liburd" <steven.libu…@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:0F9EA7D5CA8CE340steven.libu…@verizon.net...

> I've just started playing with Indy (Tiburon). After several failed
> attempts (did learn a few things that will help later), I decided to try
> something simple. I dropped an IdSMTP, set the Host, Port, Username
> and Password properties, no TLS (as it is set in Thunderbird). AuthType is
> satDefault, and UseEhlo is False. I invoke the Connect method just to see
> if Authentication passes, but DidAuthenticate always returns False.

That is because you are using AuthType=satDefault with UseEhlo=False.
satDefault will not do anything if the server does not explicitally specify
support for 'AUTH' LOGIN', and it cannot do that because the EHLO command is
required to detect the server's capabilities.

> Should this work in the first place

Not the way you have it configured, no.  At the very least, you need to set
UseEhlo=True instead.  With that in mind, I would suggest you use
AuthType=satSASL instead, and then fill in the TIdSMTP.SASLMechanisms
collection.  The 'AUTH LOGIN' command is not secure, so many servers do not
support it anymore (which would cause AuthType=satDefault to fail anyway).
You are better off using more secure authentication (if you must support
'AUTH LOGIN', the TIdSASLLogin component can be used with the
TIdSMTP.SASLMechanisms collection).

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)