Re: TIdSMTPServer and e-mail forwarding

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: TIdSMTPServer and e-mail forwarding
Posted by:  Remy Lebeau \(Indy Team\) (re…@lebeausoftware.org)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010

"Thiago Rangel" <thiferrang…@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
news:100403D2BFADE340thiferrang…@yahoo.com.br...

> I am trying to build an e-mail application that forwards e-mails
> to a given list of e-mail addresses, as function on the destination
> address. For example, an e-mail is sent to enginiers@localhost
> is forward to all enginiers (say 30 different addresses, NOT
> in localhost).

Have a look at Indy's TIdSMTPRelay component.

> I started by creating an application with TIdSMTPSever. I got to
> the point where I can use my local e-mail client (ie Thunderbird)
> to send an e-mail to the application. However, the original idea as
> to receive e-mails from other (any) e-mail severs (say, GMail, HotMail).

You will likely need to register your own domain and configure its DNS
settings to include an MX record that points to your server.  Outside
services can then send emails to your domain and they will be routed to your
server.

> However, I cannot get an e-mail from GMail when the destination
> address has my fixed IP address: say "te…@234.234.234.234".
> I do not know if the problem is that GMail would not send an e-mail
> to an address without DNS (just the raw IP), or if I am listening in
> the wrong port, with the wrong protocol.

Make sure your ISP is not blocking inbound traffic.  Most ISPs do not allow
you to run publically accessible servers without paying extra for it.

--
Remy Lebeau (Indy Team)